I’ve been trying baking lately but making a large cake badly and then eating it isn’t much fun. Here is a recipe for a great muffin instead:
I’m using espresso cups for measurement, these doses are for four small muffins. Multiply as necessary.
- One and half cup of plain wheat flour
- One cup of brown sugar
- One cup of grated carrots
- About 25g of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- A spoonful of apple sauce
- One teaspoon of cake spices—this one in particular is a mix of dried orange, cassia, ginger, nutmeg and caraway from M&S
- One large egg (separate yolk from white)
- One teaspoon of baking powder
Start by mixing the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, spices and baking powder) together.
Add butter, apple sauce, and egg yolk. Mix thoroughly together until you have a consistent batter.
Whip up the egg whites into snow.
Progressively add the snow into the batter, carefully mixing them together.
Pour the mix into small muffin forms.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake for 20 minutes at 180ºC (with convection on).